How Branding and Direct Response are Converging (Ep. 196)
by TODD HARTLEY, on Apr 9, 2019 2:03:00 AM
Digital Ads are everywhere — you can run from them but you can’t hide. They always have a way of finding you, whether that’s through social media or various video platforms.
And the worst part about them is that they disrupt whatever you were in the middle of doing. But smart brands are wising up and creating ads that are less intrusive (and more digestible).
Take Bud Light for example. Over the last year, they’ve been more strategic with their advertising, using storytelling principles to draw in their audience and to position themselves against their core competitors.
In their recent Super Bowl Commercial, they created stereotyped characters to poke fun at Miller Light and Coors Light, plus called out that they both use corn syrup in their beer (shots fired!).
So what can we learn from this? Well, traditionally there used to be two camps: branding and direct response. The goal of branding teams was to generate awareness for their product or service, and the goal of direct response teams was to get people to take desired measurable action.
In this week’s episode, we sit down with Marcus Krieg, President of WireBuzz, and talk about why those two teams are slowly converging into one.
So grab a beer (choose wisely) and let’s dig deeper into this trend in this week’s Video Marketing Mastery!
In case you missed the first two episodes of this series, you can find the links to those in the Links & Resources section below.
If you like the show, please leave us an honest rating and review on iTunes. You’d really be helping me out!
NOTE: You can also listen to the episode here, or download the episode to your device (right click and save).
In This Episode, You’ll Learn:
- Why marketers are leaving Facebook and headed to YouTube (And you should too)
- How branding and direct response are converging into one
- How TV ads are becoming more strategic with their messaging
- The importance of a bigger reach and why you can’t keep going viral
Links & Resources
- Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial
- Part 1 - The Netflix Economy: How To Create Binge Worthy Buying Experiences
- Part 2 - Using Relevance in Your Binge Worthy Video Content
- Join the WireBuzz Insider Facebook Group here
- Gain access to our free Video ROI mini-course by signing up here
- Pitch us a question that we can answer in a future podcast episode
- See what a @WireBuzz production looks like by following our crew across the country on Instagram
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for listening to the show! Don’t forget to subscribe on iTunes to get automatic updates when new episodes are available.
If you enjoyed the show, please share it using the social media buttons you see on the left.
Also, it would mean a lot to me if you would leave an honest rating and review on iTunes. Ratings and reviews not only help me serve you better, but they make a huge difference in the show’s ranking on iTunes.
If you have any questions you’d like featured on the show, or if you would like to suggest an expert (yourself included!), please let us know HERE.