Why Facebook and Instagram are Copying Snapchat (Ep. 80)
by TODD HARTLEY, on Apr 26, 2017 10:31:00 PM
As a part of their “video first” strategy, Facebook and Instagram have added lots of new video features in a very short amount of time. But these new features don’t look entirely unique to Facebook and Instagram’s platforms.
In fact, both mobile apps have added Stories, which appear almost identical to the interface of one of their biggest rivals, Snapchat.
It seems strange, right?
Why would two highly successful social media platforms copy their competitor? Shouldn’t they try something new and innovative to attract new users and re-engage fans?
This isn’t the first time we’ve seen social platforms steal from each other, and I’m sure it won’t be the last. So if you want to learn why today’s biggest social media companies are borrowing ideas and features from one another, you’ll want to listen to this episode to get the latest news in video marketing!
If you like the show, please leave us an honest rating and review on iTunes. You’d really be helping me out!
NOTE: You can also listen to the episode here, or download the episode to your device (right click and save).
In This Episode, You’ll Learn:
- AdWeek’s 8 most interesting video and social stats
- Why Instagram is copying Snapchat’s Stories feature
- How YouTube TV is performing in its first couple of weeks
- Why Virool is making it easy for advertisers to buy vertical video ad inventory at scale
- Why Twitter is introducing in-stream video ads to their revenue base
- Which YouTubers now have access to livestreaming on the video platform
- About Kevin Durant’s new YouTube Channel
- Who stars in one of the most-watched live videos on YouTube (hint: she’s a very tall, very new mother)
- How to activate the secret dark mode of YouTube
- How to create a video landing page that converts at 56% (according to Niel Patel)
- How Facebook’s Live Video crimewave relates to video marketing
- What Mark Zuckerberg has to say about the role Facebook wants to play in society
Links & Resources
- If you’re interested in making videos with your iPhone, I recommend getting a DJI Osmo Gimbal for iPhone
- Learn how to create videos that generate ROI in our FREE Video ROI Mini-Course
- Reach out to me on social media if you want to have a conversation about any of these news topics; I’m on Twitter and LinkedIn, or you can message me through the WireBuzz Facebook Page
- Learn how to insulate your business from a social media catastrophe in Episode79
After you’ve signed up for the mini-course, be sure to watch my blooper reel!
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for listening to the show! Don’t forget to subscribe on iTunes to get automatic updates when new episodes are available.
If you enjoyed the show, please share it using the social media buttons you see on the left.
Also, it would mean a lot to me if you would leave an honest rating and review on iTunes. Ratings and reviews not only help me serve you better, but they make a huge difference in the show’s ranking on iTunes.
If you have any questions you’d like featured on the show, or if you would like to suggest an expert (yourself included!), please let us know HERE.