You secretly dream about one of your marketing videos going viral and blowing up your business.
But here’s the thing — viral videos don’t work for every business. And even if you have the kind of business that could potentially go “viral,” there are other factors at play, including: budget, ROI, and opportunity costs.
If you only have $100,000 in your marketing budget, a viral video is very risky investment. There are much more effective, safer, and longer-lasting videos in which you could invest that budget.
But it’s also possible that your business is a perfect fit for viral video marketing.
That’s why in this episode of Video Marketing Mastery, I’ve brought back our Director of Strategy, Marcus Krieg, to break down the viral video phenomenon.
- If video is right for your business
- What goes into creating a viral video
- And alternative solutions that may make more sense for your business
You don’t want to miss this show!
Get the show on iTunes: http://apple.co/1Qs4GoW
If you like the show, please leave us an honest rating and review on iTunes. You’d really be helping me out!
NOTE: You can also listen to the episode here, or download the episode to your device (right click and save).
In This Episode, You’ll Learn:
- The pros and cons of viral marketing videos
- What makes a video go “viral”
- The kind of budget you should expect if you want to create a viral marketing video
- The odds of your marketing video going “viral”
- Why Dollar Shave Club’s video actually went viral
- The true cost of the DSC video
- Why advertising, or “seeding,” is an important aspect of the viral video phenomenon
- Why viral marketing videos almost never go “viral”
- Not all products make sense for viral videos (and which ones do)
- Why you can’t force a viral video — you need the right idea
- More effective and lower-risk alternatives to viral videos
- How to use a viral video concept to launch a YouTube advertising strategy
- Why video views are a poor metric for evaluating the impact of your videos
- When it makes sense to create a viral video
- What to do instead of a viral video to guarantee results
- A strategy for extending the shelf-life of a viral-style video
Videos Mentioned on the Show
Charlie Bit My Finger
Dollar Shave Club
Ice Bucket Challenge — Bill Gates Edition
Links & Resources
- Behind the Scenes of Dollar Shave Club’s Viral Video
- How Dollar Shave Club’s Ad Went Viral (Entrepreneur Magazine)
- How Dollar Shave Club Rode a Viral Video to Sales Success (Inc. Magazine)
- Connect with Marcus on Twitter: @MarcusKrieg
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for listening to the show! Don’t forget to subscribe on iTunes to get automatic updates when new episodes are available.
If you enjoyed the show, please share it using the social media buttons you see on the left.
Also, it would mean a lot to me if you would leave an honest rating and review on iTunes. Ratings and reviews not only help me serve you better, but they make a huge difference in the show’s ranking on iTunes.
If you have any questions you’d like featured on the show, or if you would like to suggest an expert (yourself included!), please let us know HERE.
Latest posts by Todd Hartley (see all)
- How to Use Video in B2B Marketing (Ep. 135) - January 15, 2018
- When To Be Creative vs. When To Execute (Ep. 134) - January 11, 2018
- Why Finalizing Video Proofs on Mobile Devices Is Important in 2018 (Ep.133) - January 10, 2018