Smart marketers know that the most persuasive sales messages don’t come from a sales rep or a business owner…they come from other satisfied customers.
You’re not the most credible source of information on your product, because you have an incentive to sell it. Or at least that’s how your prospects see it.
But when your sales message comes from a genuinely satisfied customer, prospects view that as far more credible and persuasive.
And when you combine that kind of social influence with story and the emotional power of video, you get the most valuable kind of video content there is:
Here are three reasons why testimonial videos are so effective…
1) Build Trust & Credibility With Social Proof
You probably believe 100% in the products and services you offer.
But your potential customers may still be skeptical:
- “Does this product even work, or am I going to get ripped off?”
- “Have other businesses worked with you?”
- “Is it worth the investment?”
Buyers naturally want to know a business or product is trustworthy and credible before they pull out their credit card.
Testimonials allow your satisfied customers to step forward and address the questions and objections that fill the minds of your prospective buyers for you. Then their anxious minds are put at ease, knowing that other customers have been happy and satisfied after doing business with you.
This is called “Social Proof,” and it’s one of the most powerful persuasion tools at a marketer’s disposal.
Because, after all, sales messages are easier to believe when someone other than a sales rep goes to bat for your business.
That’s why marketers have used messages like these for over a hundred years to influence what people do, buy, and even think:
- “9/10 dentists agree…”
- “Join over 20,000 others who have tried _____________”
- “The brand that [insert famous or attractive person’s name here] trusts.”
In fact, the internet has amplified the importance of social proof because now consumers have a reliable tool to research reviews and opinions before they buy.
Simply put, when people see someone else trying/buying/enjoying something, they are more likely to imitate that behavior and do the same — especially if they know and trust the other person.
And since your testimonials are built on the words of someone other than yourself, your message will be more convincing, and more likely convert your prospects into buyers.
2) Persuade the Mind with Emotion
Testimonials aren’t just a reason to market your products or services; they’re an opportunity to connect with your audience on an emotional level.
There are neurological studies which all confirm that people rely on emotions — not logic — to make decisions.
“We feel our way to reason.”
Brands that connect with their prospects on an emotional level are better positioned to persuade them to buy.
So whether it’s laughter, tears, or excitement, your audience is more likely to remember you not because of your product, but rather how you made them feel.
And when people feel good, they buy more often.
3) Nothing Captures Attention Like a Good Story
At the heart of your testimonials are stories: characters (your buyers) who had a problem or an unfulfilled desire (conflict), and found the solution in your business (resolution).
Understand this: Story is THE universal human language.
In fact, stories are scientifically proven to tap into our brains in a unique way, pulling us into the plot.
Our brains are literally wired for stories. We’re literally programmed to think in terms of narrative stories. It’s how we relate with the world and construct our identities. Scientists have even discovered that when you’re engrossed in a story, it’s all-consuming.
No daydreaming. No distractions.
That’s why testimonials, when done well, use stories to draw your prospects in and connect with them emotionally.
The very best testimonials cast your customers as the hero character in the story, not your business. You simply play the role as a guide — or mentor — that stepped in to lead them to the storybook ending.
When your prospects picture themselves as the hero of their own stories, with your business as the guide, they’re much more likely to buy your product or service.
Taking Your Testimonials to the Next Level
You know that customer testimonials are essential for persuading prospects to become buyers.
But when you combine testimonials with video, it takes these advantages to a whole new level.
That’s because video is far more effective than a text-based testimonial:
- More Powerful Social Proof: Because of body language, tone, and other physical cues don’t translate to text, testimonial videos are even more credible and trustworthy.
- Stronger Emotions: When real people showing real emotion is combined with music and expressive imagery, you’re able to transfer far more emotion to your viewers.
- Better Storytelling: With video, you simply have more tools to work with when telling a story: audio, text, B-Roll, music, animation, and more, which results in more compelling stories.
Video enhances every aspect of what makes testimonials so powerful to begin with. Plus, you only need a couple good video testimonials to get all these benefits, whereas many marketers will need dozens of text-based testimonials to get the same kind of impact.
Latest posts by Colin Noonan (see all)
- How to Increase Conversion Rates Using Explainer Videos - January 17, 2017
- How to Use Video to Generate More Leads - December 15, 2016
- How to Increase Demand for Your Product Using Video - December 8, 2016