Google has been infusing Google+ into it’s search algorithm. What does that mean for marketers? It means that when quality content get’s lots of engagement, it boosts the relevance of your content in search results, based on audience validation.
It used to be that marketers could manipulate search results….but now you have to actually earn your search rank through indicators of relevance, such as time on page, shares, +1s, etc.
But how do you ensure your content is engaged and ultimately perceived as relevant? Well, it all comes back to supply and demand… If you supply what searchers are demanding, you will always be more successful with your Google search strategy.
Content Is King
What are you demanding when you search for something on Google? You are demanding that someone credible supplies you with what you’re looking for…right?
At the most fundamental level, the best way to increase your engagement, and consequently your relevance, is to provide high quality answers to specific questions. This strategy is most often referred to as “Content Marketing,” and it’s quickly taking over search results pages because it ensures you are relevant to your target audience.
There are lots of types of “content,” including images, infographics, videos, articles, etc., but the type of content that gets the best search results is video.
Why Use Video?
At WireBuzz, all of our content marketing campaigns begin with video because:
- Research has shown that video is 53x more likely to show up on Google, so you have more exposure out of the gate.
- Video doubles the average time on page compared to pages without, which Google has been incorporating into it’s search algorithm. So your content is more likely to move up the search results and will have more staying power than long-form content.
- Video is uniquely positioned to build relationships with your target audience because it is the least asynchronous form of communication possible without actually talking to someone in-person.
Before WireBuzz started using Google+, all our videos were filmed either on-location or remotely through HD webcams. But now, we can bring our audience into the content creation process with live Google+ Hangouts On Air, adding a social and relationship-building component to our production process. As an added bonus, this Hangout Video Production Process increases engagement on Google+, which helps our content show higher in Google search results.
Remember, when you increase exposure and engagement, Google now calculates that. It creates a positive feedback loop. As your content gets validated by the audience, it increases your authorship rank & exposure. So, that’s why video gets the best results. There isn’t another type of content that can engage at that high of a level.
You can always create your video content off-air in a controlled environment, which we did for years, and still do all the time for clients, but I want to share with you my Google+ Hangout On Air strategy.
Using Google+ To Boost Your Positive Feedback Loop
Our Google+ Hangout Strategy has helped our Breast Cancer Answers campaign generate 6.3 million video views in our first 12 months.
Here’s exactly how we do it:
Every two weeks we host a Hangout on Air for Breast Cancer Answers and select big topics in our niche, which allows us to target our audience’s interests. How do we know what our audience is interested in? We either infer what our audience is interested in…or we ask our audience to submit in their questions. We event built a form on the top of every page where our audience can submit in their questions.
Then, we schedule strategic interviews on Google+ with key experts from .edu & .gov groups so we can provide information our audience is interested in.
One of the reasons it’s important to work with .edu’s and .gov’s is because Google still thinks like high school… government and education sites are the coolest kids in school and other kids (.com’s, .net’s, etc.) are cool if they “Hang Out” with the .edu’s and .gov’s. This is determined through linking relationships, which are still highly valuable in Google’s new algorithms because links are also “indicators of relevance.”
The advantages to establishing partnerships are four-fold:
- You increase the prestige of your Hangout On Air, which will attract more of your followers to the live event.
- You have the opportunity to “borrow” your partner’s audience as they help you with the outreach for the event. This is huge because the audience that is brought to you from this organization can +1, circle, or share your content…which all feeds back into your author rank.
- And finally, you have an opportunity to create a link from your partner’s website to your own, making this a relatively easy way to build link relationships with high-authority organizations.
- Plus, it places your brand in the center of the conversation. The partnering organizations are coming to work with you on your terms. Over time, your brand is where people will look when they want expert information in your niche.
With a relevant topic and the help of a high-authority organization, you can create effective video content that will get noticed, but there are post-production steps that can be taken to really take your content to the next level.
Maximizing The Effectiveness of Google+ Hangouts
When your live event is over, deploy WireBuzz’s Google+ Video Marketing Strategy:
Step 1: Go to your YouTube channel and download the full event video
Step 2: Cut each individual question or topic into its own video clip
Step 3: Upload the individual question clips back into YouTube
Step 4: Post each individual question clip on your website
Step 5: Write an email to your contact at the .edu or .gov & give them the links to post from their expert’s interview.
This process is how WireBuzz expands our searchable footprint.
Remember, when you increase exposure and engagement, Google calculates it, creating a positive feedback loop. As that content gets validated by the audience, it increases your authorship rank & exposure.